When Empire Magazine decided to create a compilation of top 20 movie villains ever, it resorted to gathering the fans’ opinions. After collecting the results, the magazine has disclosed that despite the various horror movie villains, Loki, The Joker, and Darth Vader have claimed the top spots.
When trying to compile the top 20 movie villains of all time, Empire Magazine turned to its readers to crowdsource their fans’ opinions. After compiling the results, the magazine has revealed that amongst a variety of horror movie villains, Loki, The Joker and Darth Vader have all earned top spots.
The final list is as follows:
20. Michael Myers (Halloween franchise)
19. T-1000 (Terminator 2: Judgement Day)
18. Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise)
17. Agent Smith (The Matrix trilogy)
16. Norman Bates (Psycho)
15. Palpatine (Star Wars franchise)
14. The Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)
13. Nurse Ratched (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
12. Sauron (The Lord of the Rings franchise)
11. Gollum (The Lord of the Rings franchise)
10. The Alien (Alien franchise)
9. Voldemort (Harry Potter franchise)
8. Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)
7. Kylo Ren (Star Wars franchise)
6. Hans Landa (Inglorious Bastards)
5. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs franchise)
4. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
3. Loki (Thor franchise)
2. The Joker (Batman franchise)
1. Darth Vader (Star Wars saga)
A detailed analysis of the list showed some interesting statistics.
Among the top 20, five names are either in horror movies or franchises, which is quite expected in a list showcasing villains.
Out of 20, only two of the villains originate from comic books. Still, they manage to occupy the second and third spot in the ranking. The other surprise is that there is just one female villain in the top 20.
The Star Wars saga has three entries in this list, whereas Lord of the Rings has two of them side by side. Star Wars also happens to have the newest villain on the list, i.e., Kylo Ren who debuted in 2015 and has now entered the top ten.
Although there are franchises with multiple entries, there is just one actor who has managed to get more than one spot on the list: Alan Rickman played the Sheriff of Nottingham as well as Hans Gruber.
The solo non-humanoid on the list is the Xenomorph from the Alien series, even though Sauron was hardly anything more than a watchful eye during most parts.
The Uk based magazine has a readership different from the American audiences, thus, the results might also be different if a poll is conducted among the American fans.
You can check the complete list below and find out more about the villains on Empire Magazine’s Website.