J.J. Abrams, the co-writer, and director of Star Wars: Episode IX can’t just wait to reveal to fans what he has in store for the final episode of the Skywalker story arc, as revealed by him in an interview with The Independent.
“Very much,” was Abrams reply to a question about whether he was excited to be back in the directorial chair after having made the 2015 film Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
“I’m actually going to be leaving this room and going right there. I can’t wait for you to see what we’re doing.”
Abrams has been a producer on the Star Wars episodes since his 2015 film, and he replaced Colin Trevorrow in September last year as the director of Episode IX.
As per insiders, the Jurassic World maker is not easy to work with, and it was a combination of his attitude, script problems, and the debacle of Trevorrow’s last movie The Book of Henry which led to Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy firing him.
The Disney controlled studio then chose Abrams, who had already made a tremendous hit The Force Awakens for them.
Abrams was talking to The Independent regarding the recently released movie The Cloverfield Paradox, and he was asked whether some of Trevorrow’s vision elements have been retained after his firing from the project. “We should keep it on Cloverfield,” Abrams said.
Jack Thorne (‘The Cursed Child,’ Wonder) joined Episode IX when the project was being re-written in August last year.
Later in September, an announcement was made about Abrams writing the movie jointly with Chris Terrio (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League). In the official statement released by the Star Wars official website had no mention of Thorne.
Abrams had recently made his Episode IX pitch to Disney in December 2017.
Last year he had told Rolling Stone that originally he didn’t want to come back to Star Wars.
“But when the opportunity presented itself to finish a story that we had begun with these new characters, to tell the last chapter of their story,” Abrams said, “it felt like there was a chance to do it in a way where we could go beyond, and do better than we did in [Episode VII].”
The director had stated back in December 2015 that he regretted not coming back to make Episode VIII which was written and directed by Rian Johnson.
Star Wars: Episode IX releases in theaters on December 20, 2019.