Fox’s Gambit is now on a hiatus after the departure of director Gore Verbinksi due to scheduling issues. This X-Men spinoff movie had been headed for a March kick-start in New Orleans, but it is pulled for the time being.
The site anticipates its filming to start in the summer, and this will be under a new director in Montreal. Omega Underground had the Gambit movie pegged for a March 19 start date.
This marks the third time that Gambit is bereft of a director: Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) and Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity) had jumped ship.
Channing Tatum’s involvement remains unaffected by Verbinski’s departure.
Fox had pushed back Gambit’s release from February to June 2019. This delayed production may push back the release further in spite of the enthusiasm around this project.
Described as a superpowered film with comedic elements, Gambit will see the Cajun caught up in a heist gone pretty bad.
This story will see Gambit’s attempts to unite two factions of his family which is known as the Thieves Guild.
“I think we got super, super lucky,” star and producer Channing Tatum said of Gambit’s bumpy road to the big screen. “I think a lot of setbacks, we’ll look at them in hindsight as giant blessings.”
Tatum said that Deadpool and Logan “knocked down a lot of doors for us to be able to do things that we wanted to do in the first place.”
It was Gambit will be a spin on Ocean’s Eleven and Romeo & Juliet along with mutants.
Fox will release Deadpool’s sequel in May, and this movie will be followed by X-Men: Dark Phoenix in November.